Restless River Ava Marie Chardonnay 2021
Registered Single Vineyard, 24 years old.
• Oldest Chardonnay vineyard in the Upper Hemel-en-Aarde.
• Granite-based, rocky topsoil, heavy clay subsoil.
• Mid slopes, 260m altitude, south facing.
Winemaking and Maturation
Hand harvested in small batches from 10 Feb to 05 March.
• Whole bunch pressed.
• Oxidised juice.
• Natural approach; no additives, natural fermentation, no artificial cooling.
• Fermented and aged in barrels and amphora, on lees.
• 500L French oak barrels, 10% new.
• 10% unlined Tuscan terracotta amphora.
The wine is only released after 12 months in barrel, a further three months in tank and 18 months in bottle.
The striking quality of this chardonnay is elegance. The nose is classic old-world, with lime, white pear, apple blossom and a hint of struck flint. Fruit and acidity are in perfect harmony, framed by a subtle use of seamlessly integrated French oak, only 10% new. The wine is refined, vibrant and pure with a salty minerality and a long, intense and focused finish.
ANALYSIS: Alc. 12.6 TA: 6.36 pH: 3.24 RS: 1.4 Total S02: 52