Champagne Rene Geoffroy Les Houtrants Complantes NV
This single-plot cuvee, “Les Houtrants”, originates from a vineyard planted mid-slope above Cumières in 2004. We opted for companion planting of 5 varieties there, in order to respect and capture the best of this sunny terroir in the heart of this Champagne.
– Plot worked according to biodynamic principles since 2018
– Tilling by horse-drawn plough
Winemaking and Maturation
– traditional pressing in order to extract the “tête de cuvee” (finest juices from the first pressing)
– Vinification with natural yeasts from the plot– not matured in wood.
– avoidance of malolactic fermentation.
– no fining, no filtering
– multiple vintages with storage of reserve wines in magnums at low pressure
– During secondary fermentation, bottle is sealed with a cork rather than a crown cap
Champagne which by virtue of companion planting of five Champagne grape varieties expresses the identity of a locality that is dear to the Geoffroy family. With a pale yellow robe with golden highlights, this cuvée offers a luminous and dynamic effervescence. On the nose, a delicate and airy fragrance of white flowers, citrus fruits and white-fleshed fruit. First impressions on the tongue are masterful: aromas of bitter almond, vanilla biscuits, sponge cakes being brought out of the oven, even a hearth fire, summon back childhood memories, as they rise to the surface. All the more surprising in Champagne that while it was ageing has never been close to an oak barrel. The mouth is precise, clean and energetic. The absence of dosage provides a pleasantly pure finish and above all, lengthens the minerality and the fine bitters.
CUVÉE: Champagne Les Houtrants Complantés NV, Brut nature
SOIL: Clay and silt with fine fragments of flint. The source rock is composed of hard sandstone and chalky marl.
BLEND: Pinot noir, Pinot Meunier, Chardonnay, Petit Meslier and Arbanne. Multiple harvests starting in 2008
DOSAGE REGIME: 0 g/l
– Limited edition of 1002 numbered bottles